Founded in 1928, Interlochen Center for the Arts, on its scenic Michigan campus has inspired generations of artists. Students study music, theatre, visual arts, film, creative writing and dance, guided by an outstanding faculty and guest artists. Interlochen has a summer festival that serves some 2,500 students through performances and educational programs in the arts since 1964. The project involves the conceptual design for a renovated and expanded dance building to include five studios, changing rooms, offices and other support spaces. The project will include structural and mechanical upgrades to the existing masonry and wood framed building.
The new studio addition takes its cues from the Kresge Auditorium, a mid-century outdoor amphitheater seating 4,000 with its sculptural roof and exposed wood and steel structure. The shape of the roof celebrates the movement of dance as it gestures towards the lake. The addition adds three new studio spaces, each with a view to the lake that open onto outdoor decks and performances spaces that also overlook the lake. The combined building is organized around a new entrance lobby that visually connects the existing studio with the three new studios so that visitors and dancers can see multiple dance rehearsals at one time.
|Type||Renovation & Addition to Performing Arts Facility|
|Client||Interlochen Center for the Arts|
|Size||21,500 square feet|
|Design Team||David Croteau, Principal-in-Charge; Kelley Banks, Project Manager; Betsy Garcia, Project Architect|