Northfield Mount Hermon was founded by 19th-century evangelist Dwight Lyman Moody as two institutions in 1879 and 1871. It became a single coeducational school in 1971 and consolidated to the Mount Hermon campus in 2005. Today, the school’s distinctive College-Model Academic Program (CMAP) helps students develop not only knowledge about the world, but also a love of learning that will serve them throughout their lifetimes. Through the CMAP, students take three major courses each semester, which adds up to six challenging college-preparatory courses per year.
The new 42,000-square-foot Gilder Center will provide flexible, multi-use academic spaces; encourage collaboration and innovation across disciplines; support the school’s distinctive CMAP; and respond to emerging educational needs over time. With a sustainable design that supports NMH’s goal of reducing its carbon footprint, the Gilder Center will be the “greenest” building on campus. The building design honors NMH’s rich architectural history while providing a Silicon Valley-like learning environment. It embraces the overall beauty of the campus as well as specific landscape features, including the nearby Connecticut River.
|Client||The Northfield Mount Hermon School|
|Design Team||David Croteau, Principal-in-Charge; Kelley Banks, Project Manager; Joseph Marshall, Project Architect|