St. John’s Prep is a single sex college preparatory Catholic day school located in Danvers, MA. Its 175-acre (71 hectare) campus serves 1,150 boys in grades 9-12. Flansburgh completed a campus master plan to address initiatives and issues ranging from developing a new wellness facility, accommodating a new middle school program, evaluating the existing arts spaces, analyzing zoning regulations, addressing parking, and reviewing strategic land acquisitions.
The campus Master Plan makes seven important recommendations:
- Renovate Benjamin Hall into a middle school and construct a new STEM center for the high school. These two projects have since been completed.
- Renovate Memorial Gymnasium to become a middle school gymnasium and construct a new Wellness Center for the high school. The Wellness Center is currently under construction.
- Expand the arts facilities.
- Transform Memorial Dining Hall into a welcoming student commons shared by high school and middle school students.
- Organize new facilities around a large central oval that strengthens a sense of campus.
- Concentrate outdoor athletic facilities on the northern half of campus and concentrate academic facilities on the southern half of campus.
- Create a campus loop road perimeter parking areas to minimize conflicts between vehicular and pedestrian circulation.
Through an inclusive and interactive process, we developed the final plan using physical and 3D computer models. We suggested a phased approach to realize the plan and provided a step-by-step schedule, including cost estimates for each phase and a digital animation for use as a fundraising tool.
|Type||Master Plan for Grade 6-12 Campus|
|Client||St. John's Preparatory School|
|Architectural Team||David Croteau, Principal-in-Charge; Kent Kovacs, Project Manager|