Given as a gift to the City of Fairhaven by Henry Huttleston Rogers in 1906, the existing Fairhaven High School is an historic landmark. The restoration work included converting the existing gymnasium into a library, painstakingly reusing and reconfiguring existing materials, and replicating historic fixtures. Set back from the existing building to minimize its impact and composed of simple, strong plutonic solids, the 85,000 square foot addition includes a new gymnasium, auditorium, arts classrooms, and science labs.
The modernization of this historic high school, known locally as the “Castle on the Hill” was a complex undertaking that involved a full renovation/restoration of the original three-story masonry building, and construction of a new main entrance rotunda and two expansion wings.
The renovation phase included conversion of an octagonal double-height gymnasium into a media center/library featuring a study balcony on what had formerly been a cantilevered indoor track.
Program elements located in the new additions include 11 classrooms, a gymnasium, a cafeteria, and a 350-seat auditorium with a full stage and adjoining music practice rooms.
Honors and Awards
School Building Design Award for Best Practices - Massachusetts School Building Authority 2002
Design Citation - American Association of School Administrators
|Type||Public High School|